Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A long weekend in DC

My hubbie and I were invited on a last minute trip to DC by this super cute couple:


Dustin and Caitlin

The metro was our primary source of transportation!


Dusty and Cait have friends who live in that area so we had a free place to stay. We packed more than I have done in a year into 3 days... seriously I have the shin splints/sore calves to prove it! I can't even imagine how many miles we covered. To keep up our energy up, every day was started like this:

I was introduced to the Dirty Chai Latte... ohmygoodness! A chai tea latte with a shot of espresso! I like tea but I am a coffee girl through and through so this is perfect!! Mmmm now I want one.

We visited quite a few museums. I didn't take a lot of pictures because Caitlin took care of that. Her professional camera takes pictures a little bit better than the camera on my phone. Here are the few I did take though:




Fords Theater, this is where he was shot.


I can't remember where I saw this but I liked it a lot. You can barely read it but it was a quote from Abraham Lincoln. People was trying to bow down to him as their liberator and he said , "Don't kneel to me. This is not right. You must kneel to God only and thank Him for the liberty you will heretofore enjoy. I am God's humble instrument". I thought that was so cool. If only it was still like that today....



This was at Mt. Vernon. Chris wouldn't let me have a baby pig :( Perhaps because they turn out like the mama?




These were also taken at Mt. Vernon. I had been here as a kid but I had so much more appreciation for it this time around. Washington was an amazing man and it is so beautiful there. The quote above says, "George Washington was one of the few men in all of human history who was not carried away with power." - Robert Frost. I think that's what made him such an amazing first President.



Apparently this is what I would have looked like as a monkey before we "evolved". Ha, good thing I don't believe in that because that's just scary!

On our last day there we rode bikes from DC to Georgetown.


We were on a cupcake mission! Sprinkles and Georgetown Cupcakes are both really popular places. Some swear by one and others swear by the other. So we decided to make our own decision and visited both.


Sprinkles is owned by the woman judge on Cupcake Wars. It was really hard to decide which one I wanted to try because they all looked so good. I finally decided on the Black and White and my husband got the Coconut. My friend got Banana and her hubbie had the Irish Cream. They were all so good but the Coconut was definitely the show stopper! SO good! My favorite part of my cupcake was the actual cake. It was so chocolaty and moist!


Then it was off to Georgetown Cupcakes.


There a show on TLC called DC Cupcakes filmed here. There was a line when we got there but it was only about a 10 minute wait. Again it was hard to choose but I went with the Toffee Crunch and so did my friend. Her husband got Mint Chocolate and my hubbie had the Chocolate Birthday Cake. The best part of these cupcakes was the frosting. It was so creamy and delicious. So Sprinkles won with the cake and GC's with the frosting. If only they combined the two :)


While I was in Northern VA I got to meet up with my best friend of over 10 years, Erin!!! It was sooo awesome to see her. I miss her so much. She is one of those rare friends that I can go forever without seeing but we always just pick up right where we left off!


We met up with her as well as her boyfriend and mom. I loved seeing them all! We went to Cheesecake Factory and I ate soooo much at that meal OMG. Avocado rolls and Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes.... words cant express the yumminess. Speaking off food below are pictures of other food eaten:



Salmon, wasabi and cucumber on a bagel... delish.


An orange, beet salad at a a really yummy pizza place we ate at. Very tasty!


And of course fro yo! I had never been to a pinkberry so of course I had to see what all the hype was about.... WOW I get it now... so good! Their original tart is to die for.


Well that's all Ive got! The trip was uh-MAZING! Probably one of our best! We had so much fun with some incredible friends :) I wish I was still there!


Next post will be about running... or lack thereof :(

No comments: